Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Veena Malik plays sex worker





After all the controversies in "Bigg Boss 4" and shooting an item song, Pakistani model Veena Malik has bagged the biographical role of a sex worker.


Veena will be playing the role of sex worker Madhuri, who has been moonlighting for years to support her family.

The actress has been very quietly meeting sex workers here, particularly Madhuri, for the film "Zindagi 50-50".

"This film has changed my life and my attitude to women and sex workers in particular.

"I insisted on playing Madhuri. Koi connect hai (some connection is there)... I don`t know what it was. But I instantly empathized with Madhuri`s responsibilities towards her large family," Veena said.


"Maybe because I come from a family of five daughters and one son. But I understand what it feels like to be a woman in a male-dominated society. I`ve always supported myself, been on my own since adulthood," she noted.

Veena spent hours with Madhuri to know about her dual life.

"In the daytime she`s a normal middle-class girl. In the night she puts on her burqa and goes to work in the red-light area, just like any normal working girl," Veena added.

"I loved the dignity that Madhuri brings to her life and her work. I hope I am able to convey the same dignity in my performance," Veena stated.

"Who cares about sex workers? I am appalled by the way they live in the red-light areas, not just in India but across Asia. These women deserve a much better life," felt Veena.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More