Monday, June 13, 2011

Bewildered Darbar to apologise to Academy Awards!

Ismail Darbar, who accused legendary music composer AR Rahman of having bought his Oscar Awards for Danny Boyle’s flick ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ in 2008, is now ready to give an apology to the Academy for his objectionable comments.
The music director, launched by ace filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali, had gone vocal about his views on music maestro Rahman’s “mediocre” music in ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ and that the Academy Award winner did not deserve the coveted trophy.

Alleging that Rahman has not earned but bought the awards was not appreciated by the internationally acclaimed director.

Rumour mills had it that the Academy Awards was planning to sue Darbar for USD 50 million.

On being quizzed about the huge penalty that he might have to end up paying as compensation to the Oscars, Darbar said, "250 crore rupaiye ! Please tell them to take me instead. I will be of some help to them.”

Expressing his take on how Rahman’s work has deteriorated in terms of quality, Darbar while talking to a daily said, "I am grateful that I have been respected in the industry for my work. I did say some things about Rahman, because as a friend I want to jolt him out of his reverie and start giving good music. I chose a public platform to do it, because he wouldn`t listen to me otherwise. I have nothing against the Oscars.”

“It is the most respected award, the whole world acknowledges it, and I do, too. If any of them (Academy) are hurt by my comments, I apologise to them”, he added.

Clarifying what he intended to say but was highly mistaken, Darbar said, "I am not scared. The truth is, I realise that those people who respected me for my work, might misunderstand me and think I am baddimag. Also, the fact is, I can have nothing against the Oscar panel or those behind the awards. My issue was with Rahman and I guess he`s got the message by now."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More